Gun Violence Prevention
The David Bohnett Foundation works with policy makers, advocates and activists to reduce gun violence and promote prevention policies that keep all Americans safe.
The statistics about gun use and availability are alarming:
- about one quarter of adults in the US owns a gun (Criminology of Criminal Justice);
- 268 people in America die each day from gun violence (Center for Disease Control);
- 67% of the 16,272 murders in 2008 were committed with firearms (FBI);
- every minute, eight new firearms are produced in the US (ATF);
- guns in the home are four times more likely to be used in an unintentional shooting than to injure or kill in self-defense (Journal of Trauma).
Groups and institutions that educate and advocate on the harms caused by guns and the common sense solutions which have the power to end this violent epidemic, are encouraged to seek funding.